Job Placement Resources
- MLA Job Information List: http://www.mla.org/jil
- Job Listings are released online in mid-September. The password to perform searches is available from the department graduate adviser.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Jobs site: http://chronicle.com/section/Jobs/61/
- PhDs.org Job Listings: http://jobs.phds.org/
- Includes industry and government listings.
- HigherEdJobs.com http://www.higheredjobs.com/
- The Humanities and Social Sciences Online (H-Net) Job Guide: http://h-net.org/jobs/
- Postdoc resources as listed on UCSB's Graduate Division website: http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/postdoctoralscholars/gradstudents.htm#gradstudents
- Graduate Student Grant / Fellowship Blog: http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/studentgrantsfellowships/
- Maintained by Sarah Tuohey, Assistant Dean of Students for Admissions and Fellowships in the Division of the Humanities at the University of Chicago.
Resources for Compiling and Sending Applications
- Dossier Services
A comparison of UCSB Reference Letter Service and Interfolio
|Program||Activation Fee||How to Request Letters||Confidential Letters?||Letters held on File||Payment Options||Max Req / Day||Make Req. Via||Processing Time||Standard Mail||International Mail||Priority Mail||Overnight||Intl Priority||Fax||Electronic||2-day||Rush Overnight|
|UCSB RLS||$0 for current; $50/year for those graduated||Send filled-in authorization form to faculty; they return letter with form via email, fax or mail.||Yes; Form filled out by student and provided to letter writer||5 years from last date of activity||credit card, cash in person, check to UC Regents, BARC||10||5 business days||$5; 2 weeks + processing||$10; USPS Airmail||$20; 3 days + rush processing||$30; received by 10AM; FedEx||$35; received by 10am||$15||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Interfolio||$19 / year||Web interface; allows you to include writing sample, job letter, transcripts, etc. Pricing up to 20 pages; $1 for ea add'l 20 pgs||Yes; Form filled out by student and emailed to letter writer||5 years from account expiration||credit card||n/a||web interface||electronic or priority: same day if recvd by 11am; print: next business day if recvd by 9:59pm||$6; 3 - 14 days from next bus day||$7; sent next business day; del time varies||$12; 3-5 days if sub'd by 11am||$28 sub by 11am for 3pm delivery next day (4:30 for rural addresses); incl. tracking||$45; 2-3 bus days if recvd by 11am; incl. tracking||N/A||$4||$4||$16; recvd by 11am = 2 bus days; Incl tracking||$40; recvd by 1pm, delivered by 12pm next day; Incl tracking|
The Academic Jobs Wiki
The Academic Jobs wiki is self-described as "a wiki for tracking searches in various categories for academic (i.e. faculty) positions." Since it is updated by those on the academic job market, you may find that the tone varies according to the frustrations and desires of the users.
- MLA Career Resources: http://www.mla.org/career_resources
- Chronicle of Higher Education Job Advice: http://chronicle.com/section/Advice/66/
- University of Texas, Austin Job Materials Resources: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/english/graduate/placement/job-materials-handout.html